Corporator Executive Committee Update
Communicating on behalf of Emerson is a key responsibility
The cycle of bringing in new corporators began again this fall. “Corporators are essential ambassadors,” says Bill Ryan, co-chair of Emerson’s Corporator Executive Committee. “We ask that they communicate what Emerson offers with the goal of advancing the hospital’s mission.”
The talking points listed below are a good start, he adds. They were included in the last issue of Corporator Connection and will be revised and included in future issues. Corporators should be familiar with these points and remember to encourage their neighbors to Choose Emerson and Use Emerson.
“We need our corporators to continually spread the word that you don’t need to head to Boston for high-quality care,” adds Jeanne Kangas, committee co-chair. The list below shows Emerson’s affiliation with both Massachusetts General Hospital and Brigham and Women’s Hospital.
One of the corporator responsibilities is to volunteer in some way by contributing their time, expertise or judgment by becoming involved in corporator committees or events. “We’re looking for more ways that our corporators can become engaged with Emerson,” notes Ms. Kangas. “In some cases, they are happy to be ‘hands-on,’ but we want to find ways for corporators to be ‘head-on,’ where they can apply their expertise, perhaps by playing a policy role.”
The hospital’s Patient and Family Advisory Board, which serves as “the patient’s voice” by providing information to hospital leaders and staff about patient needs and concerns, is a model for the kinds of activities some corporators seek, Ms. Kangas notes.
Looking toward November, the two co-chairs were enthusiastic about the hospital’s gala, the “Have a Heart” Ball, a fundraiser that supports upgrades on Wheeler 5, Emerson’s cardiac unit. “Attendance is high, and all tables have been sold,” says Mr. Ryan.
Stayed tuned for news about the Corporator Annual Meeting, which will be held in April. The committee is busy nailing down all details for another outstanding meeting.
Corporator Talking Points
• In recent years, Emerson has invested more than $40 million in new facilities and technology.
• For OB/GYN care, we have high-risk maternity specialists from Brigham and Women’s Hospital, 24 private rooms in a beautiful new Birthing Center, midwifery services and a Level 2 Special Care Nursery staffed by Massachusetts General Hospital neonatology. Emerson’s OB-GYN physicians offer convenient appointments in Concord, Westford, Acton and Leominster.
• For comprehensive cancer care, our affiliation with Massachusetts General Hospital brings world-class cancer care to the convenient setting of Emerson. Mass General radiation oncologists have an advanced linear accelerator—a powerful tool for fighting cancer—that is equal to or better than any in the downtown hospitals. The fantastic Emerson Hospital Auxiliary provides a constant supply of homemade lap quilts, funding for acupuncture and massage treatments and all the little things that will wrap patients in a blanket of compassion and support.
• Have an active family? Our pediatric intervention team, child life specialists and pediatric hospitalists know exactly how to care for your kids, whenever your little one falls off the jungle gym! A pediatric surgeon from Children’s Hospital, as well as a team of specialists from Mass General for Children, are also on staff at Emerson.
• Bone and joint concerns? Our fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeons handle knee and hip replacements, ACL tears, sports injuries and more. They team with their neurosurgery and pain medicine specialists from Lahey Clinic, also on the Emerson staff, to help patients with chronic pain.
• Need a surgeon? Our general surgeons are trained in the latest minimally invasive techniques using sophisticated image-guided equipment. They are backed by a highly trained team of anesthesiologists who rely on state-of-the-art patient monitoring equipment. Your surgery will take place in the completely renovated Clough Surgical Center with a dedicated entrance and comfortable pre- and post-operative suites.
• Looking for convenient access to primary care? Emerson has primary care and pediatric physicians in Acton, Bedford, Concord, Fitchburg, Groton, Harvard, Lincoln, Littleton, Sudbury and Westford who are accepting new patients.
• Our newly renovated Emergency Department is always at hand, whenever life throws you a curve. Our commitment to promoting health and wellness is backed up with a new Health and Wellness Center on Baker Avenue in Concord. From acupuncture to zumba, and everything in between, we have it covered!
• Need to have diagnostic testing? Emerson has the latest imaging technology. Our radiology team uses sophisticated ultrasound, SPECT-CT, MRI, digital mammography, bone density testing and PET-CT scanning. We have imaging facilities in Concord, Sudbury and Westford.