Breast Health Center
The Emerson Hospital Hermel Breast Health Center in Concord and mammography services in Westford bring together two teams dedicated to your health. Advanced technology. Highly trained staffs. Facilities designed for comfort, convenience and privacy. In other words, just what you need during a sensitive time.
Inside the Hermel Breast Health Center, you’ll find:
- 3D and digital imaging technology augmented by ultrasound, MRI and other health and diagnostic services
- If further studies are needed, most are made with an accurate, less invasive stereotactic or ultrasound-guided needle biopsy (available in Concord)
- Computer-aided detection to provide another degree of confidence
- Library with free brochures and DVDs about breast health, prevention, benign breast disease and breast cancer detection and treatment (available in Concord)
3D Imaging Technology
Tomosynthesis, the 3D imaging technology, is offered for screening women who have dense breasts or those who have a family history of breast cancer which puts them at a higher risk. Tomosynthesis addresses a long-standing imaging challenge. The breast must be compressed during a mammogram in order to turn the three-dimensional structure into a two-dimensional image through which abnormalities may be detected. However, dense breasts can have overlapping tissue that causes image distortion, potentially resulting in a false positive and associated anxiety from having to return for a repeat mammogram. In fact, studies show that tomosynthesis reduces the patient callback rate by up to 40 percent.
Tomosynthesis takes approximately four seconds longer per view while in compression than a mammogram. The exam exposes patients to slightly more radiation, but is still below government safety guidelines.
Tomosynthesis is available at the Hermel Breast Health Center in Concord, which is located across Route 2 from Emerson. This winter, two tomosynthesis units will also be installed at Emerson’s Westford Breast Health Center.
Your team. Your hospital.
Our experienced team provides personal attention, technical expertise and conscientious follow-through during and after your visit. At the Breast Health Center, your questions and concerns are always addressed candidly, respectfully and attentively.
The American Cancer Society recommends a baseline mammogram at age 40 and an annual mammogram thereafter. Some women are at greater risk and may require earlier or more frequent imaging. Because some cancers are not visible on mammograms, monthly self-examination and an annual breast exam by a physician are important for early cancer detection.
Screenings are typically scheduled one to two months in advance of your appointment.
- Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology
- Recognized by the National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations
- Approved and recommended by the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute
- Licensed by the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and the Food and Drug Administration
Hermel Breast Health Center in Concord, Massachusetts
- Monday: 7:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Tuesday/Thursday: 7:30 am – 7:30 pm
- Wednesday/Friday: 7:30 am – 4:00 pm
Mammography Center in Westford, Massachusetts
- Monday–Thursday: 8:00 am – 5:30 pm
- Friday: 8:00 am – 4:30 pm