Physicians in Emerson Hospital’s Bone and Joint Center offer a full range of diagnostic and treatment services for orthopedic problems. The center includes orthopedic surgeons as well as specialists in hand, spine and podiatry surgery, sports medicine, pediatric orthopedics and rheumatology. Physicians associated with the Bone and Joint Center are located at Emerson’s Center for Specialty Care in Concord as well as in individual offices throughout the area.
Emerson offers advanced imaging technology such as MRI, CT scan and nuclear medicine in the Yeatts Radiology Center to aid in the accurate diagnosis of orthopedic conditions.
Emerson’s experienced orthopedic surgeons offer comprehensive orthopedic care, from joint replacement surgery and minimally invasive procedures to sports medicine treatments for the serious or casual athlete. They are experts at repairing bones and replacing cartilage, as well as performing complex procedures such as reconstruction of the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL).
Emerson’s bone and joint specialists use a multidisciplinary approach—surgeons, physical therapists, rheumatologists and others collaborate to determine the best treatment option for each patient. If surgery is necessary, Emerson offers a wide range of orthopedic surgery procedures.
General orthopedic procedures include:
Foot – Emerson podiatrists manage bone, joint and soft tissue disorders of the foot and associated structures. Most foot surgery can be performed on an outpatient basis as day surgery.
Hand – Emerson’s orthopedic hand specialists treat all upper extremity injuries and use a multidisciplinary approach that includes therapy and surgery to treat upper extremity injuries and conditions.
- Hip Surgery – Emerson’s orthopedic surgeons are experienced in the latest hip replacement surgeries, including the mini-incision approach, which is associated with less pain, quicker recovery and superior cosmetic results.
- Trauma – Orthopedic surgeons treat fractures, dislocations and other trauma-related orthopedic problems.
- Joint Replacement Surgery and Joint Replacement Revisions – Emerson surgeons perform a wide variety of joint replacement surgeries and apply the latest procedures and technologies to revisions of older joint replacements.
- Knee Surgery – Physicians in Emerson’s Bone and Joint Center offer a full range of diagnostic and treatment services for adult and pediatric knee problems.
- Elbow Surgery – Orthopedic surgeons at Emerson use a multidisciplinary approach to treat a number of elbow problems including tennis elbow, bursitis and other conditions.
- Shoulder Surgery – Today’s shoulder surgery uses the latest minimally invasive techniques—sophisticated scopes and slim instruments to repair shoulder problems with a minimum of disruption to surrounding tissue.
Spine/Back Surgery – Spine surgeons at Emerson provide evaluation and treatment of all spinal disorders affecting the cervical, thoracic and lumbar spine. A multidisciplinary approach is used to restore flexibility and strength and eliminate pain.
Sports Medicine – Specialists in sports medicine use the most advanced medical and surgical treatments and physical therapy to help both serious and casual athletes resume active lifestyles.
Pediatric Orthopedic Surgery
John Cahoy, MD, PhD, is a pediatric fellowship-trained orthopedic surgeon and provides comprehensive orthopedic care of children from birth to young adulthood. His clinical interests include pediatric upper and lower extremity fractures, treatment of athletic injuries and overuse syndromes, and non-surgical management of adolescent scoliosis and spine conditions.
Care after surgery
In addition to skilled and experienced orthopedic surgeons, Emerson offers comprehensive support services for shoulder surgery patients. If your surgery requires a hospital stay, you will be cared for by the hospital’s highly regarded nursing staff, many of whom have special training in pain management—an important aspect of orthopedic care. Other services include: