The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Emerson Hospital is a comprehensive program designed to help patients with respiratory diseases reduce symptoms and improve physical conditioning.
Components of the Program
- provide patients with specific guidelines and recommendations for physical activity
- provide physicians with information on progress in exercise intensity and duration
- serve as a resource for educational information and emotional support
- increase knowledge and understanding of respiratory disease
- control the symptoms
- improve physical conditioning
- function independently in daily activities
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program is eight weeks in length and consists of 16 sessions. Each session includes individualized exercise training using equipment such as a bicycle and hand-held weights to strengthen arm muscles. Participants will learn about lung disease, coping with shortness of breath and techniques to prevent complications such as infection. Medications, inhaler techniques, breathing retraining, bronchial hygiene, nutrition, environmental irritants, traveling tips and energy conservation skills are also discussed. Family members or close friend are encouraged to participate.
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Team
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation Coordinator is a registered respiratory therapist. Each month a team member, such as a pulmonologist, nurse, respiratory therapist, social worker, pharmacist or dietician presents a lecture which enhances the patient's knowledge of their disease and its management.
You May Be A Good Candidate for the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program if:
- you have difficulty with basic activities due to shortness of breath
- eating, bathing, dressing, walking or climbing stairs make you short of breath
- coughing episodes leave you exhausted or breathless
To Learn More:
A physician referral is required to participate in the program. The Pulmonary Rehabilitation staff will work with you, your physician and your insurance to verify coverage for the program. For further information of the Pulmonary Rehabilitation Program at Emerson Hospital, please call 978-287-3715.