Yoga isn't just for exercise. Many studies have shown the positive effects of yoga on a person's physical and mental health. Yoga has also been proven to have a significant impact on preventing illness and managing the treatment of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other health issues.
Emerson Hospital’s Healthy Living Program is hosting a wide variety of classes this winter to help people discover the benefits of yoga for optimal health and wellness. Classes include:
• Yoga for Beginners to help participants strengthen, relax and find balance in their mind, body and spirit;
• Gentle Yoga for new students and those with a tight body, stiffness, injury or recovery from illness or surgery;
• Yoga and Meditation to relieve stress and tension in the mind and body using flowing yoga postures and breath awareness;
• Mindful Yoga for Stress Management to reduce stress and tension, improve flexibility and strength and teach breathing techniques for emotional balance;
• Adaptive Yoga for those with arthritis, sciatica or lower back pain, or those recovering from illness or injury, or who have chronic pain or disorders;
• Yoga of the Heart® for cardiac patients looking for an easy, gentle meditative yoga that promotes optimal health and well-being, tranquility and stress reduction.
The classes begin in January, some have a drop-in option. They will be held at Emerson’s Integrative Health & Wellness Center located at 310 Baker Ave. in Concord. Each class is taught by a certified yoga instructor who specializes in teaching yoga for optimal health and disease management.
For more information about these classes and many other wellness classes taking place this winter at Emerson’s Integrative Health & Wellness Center, visit www.emersonhealthyliving.org or call 978-287-3777.
# # #
Emerson Hospital is a multi-site health system headquartered in Concord, Mass., with additional facilities in Sudbury, Groton and Westford. The 179-bed hospital provides advanced medical services to more than 300,000 individuals in 25 towns. To learn more, visit www.emersonhospital.org.