Yoga isn't just for exercise. Many studies have shown the positive effects of yoga on a person's physical and mental health. Yoga has also been proven to have a significant impact on preventing illness and managing the treatment of cancer, heart disease, diabetes and other health issues.
Emerson Hospital’s Wellness Center for Mind and Body is hosting a wide variety of classes this winter to help everyone discover the benefits of yoga for optimal health and wellness.
• Chair Yoga, for anyone with weight challenges, injury, limited mobility or recovering from surgery. Almost all yoga poses are done seated or standing while using a chair and are beneficial to body, mind and spirit.
• Curvy Yoga, designed for larger men and women, this class creates a welcoming atmosphere and incorporates stretching with strength poses, with modifications or props available to aid all students.
• Family and Me Yoga, a fun, unique class where children ages 2.5 – 6 are welcome.
• Gentle Yoga, as seen recently on Chronicle TV, for the new student of yoga and for those with a tight body, stiffness, injury or recovery from illness or surgery.
• Mindful Yoga for Stress Management, to reduce stress and tension, improve flexibility and strength and learn breathing techniques for emotional balance.
• Mom and Baby Yoga, for newborns to pre-crawlers and their moms, this is a gentle yoga class designed to help new moms regain muscle tone, abdominal strength and flexibility. Moms are encourage to involve their baby and can feed, comfort and change diapers during class.
• Prenatal Yoga for a Healthier Pregnancy, prepares participants for delivery and postpartum recuperation. Bring a signed permission form from your OB or midwife.
• Yoga and Meditation, improve flexibility and strength while relieving stress and tension. Includes Ayurvedic healing mediation techniques.
• Yoga for Beginners, build strength, flexibility, improve posture, balance and calm the mind.
• Yoga Healing for Concussions, through mindful breathing and gentle stretches, yoga allows the body and mind to rest and renew, offering much-needed time for physical and mental healing. This class is for concussion patients to help with mental fatigue, anxiety, headaches, balance and endurance.
The classes begin in January, most have drop-in options. Participants will meet at the Emerson Wellness Center for Mind and Body, located at 310 Baker Avenue in Concord, near the new Residence Inn hotel. Students should bring a yoga mat. Free parking is available in the office park.
For more information and to register for yoga classes, and many other wellness classes taking place this winter at The Emerson Wellness Center for Mind and Body, visit www.emersonwellness.org or call 978-287-3777.
# # #
Emerson Hospital is a multi-site health system headquartered in Concord, Mass., with additional facilities in Sudbury, Groton and Westford. The 179-bed hospital provides advanced medical services to more than 300,000 individuals in 25 towns. To learn more, visit www.emersonhospital.org.