At Emerson Hospital’s Hermel Breast Health Center
in Concord and mammography services at Emerson's Westford Health Center, you have convenient, close-to-home access to this advanced technology — along with an array of other important services dedicated to breast health — in facilities designed for your comfort and privacy.
The breast health services we offer
- Screening and diagnostic mammography using 3D (tomosynthesis) and 2D digital imaging technology augmented by ultrasound, MRI and other health and diagnostic services
- Stereotactic and ultrasound-guided needle biopsy (available in Concord)
- Computer-aided detection that provides an added level of accuracy
- Library with free brochures about breast health, prevention, benign breast disease, and breast cancer detection and treatment (available in Concord)
Bone density screenings, which use X-rays to measure the strength and density of your bones, are also available at the Hermel Breast Health Center and Emerson Health Center in Westford.
The value of 3D imaging technology
Tomosynthesis creates a three-dimensional image of the breast using X-rays from many different angles. The breast is positioned the same way it is in a conventional mammogram, with just enough pressure to keep the breast taut and in position during the procedure.
The X-ray tube moves in an arc around the breast while multiple images are taken during a 7-second examination. The information is sent to a computer, which produces clear 3-dimensional images throughout the breast — making it easier to see breast cancers, particularly in dense breast tissue. What’s more, studies show tomosynthesis reduces the patient callback rate (the need for a repeat exam) by up to 40 percent because it’s so accurate.
Tomosynthesis is offered in both our Concord and Westford locations.
When should I have a screening mammogram?
The American Cancer Society recommends a baseline mammogram at age 40 and an annual mammogram thereafter. Some women are at greater risk for breast cancer and may require earlier or more frequent imaging.
Because some cancers are not visible on mammograms, monthly self-examination and an annual breast exam by a physician are important for early cancer detection.
To schedule your annual screening mammogram, call us at 978-287-8107
or visit our mammography page
to request an appointment online. Please allow one to two months lead time for your appointment.
You can trust the quality of Emerson Hospital’s breast health capabilities. Our facilities have met rigorous national standards, earning recognition from these prestigious organizations:
- Named a Breast Imaging Center of Excellence by the American College of Radiology
- Accredited by the American College of Radiology
- Recognized by the National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations
- Approved and recommended by the American Cancer Society and the National Cancer Institute