An arrhythmia is a condition in which the heart beats with an abnormal rhythm that is too fast (tachycardia), too slow (bradycardia) or irregular. It occurs as a result of a problem with the heart’s electrical system, which controls the rate and rhythm of your heartbeat.
If you or someone you care about has a heart rhythm disorder, it is important to know that Emerson Hospital has a team of cardiologists with the expertise to diagnose and manage all types of arrhythmias, including atrial fibrillation, the most common type of heart rhythm disorder.
In addition, we have board-certified and fellowship-trained electrophysiologists
, cardiologists with advanced training in diagnosing and treating arrhythmias using special technology and interventions.
The arrhythmia treatment resources Emerson offers
The treatments available for heart rhythm disorders include:
- Medications that help control irregular heart rhythms
- Implantable cardioverter defibrillator (ICDs) and pacemaker insertion
- Cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT), also called biventricular pacing, which uses a special kind of pacemaker designed to help the heart’s ventricles contract more normally
- Catheter ablation, including cryoablation (freezing) and radiofrequency (heat) ablation, procedures used to selectively destroy areas of heart tissue that are causing a heart rhythm problem
- Cardioversion, a medical procedure that restores a normal heart rhythm by sending electric shocks to your heart through electrodes placed on your chest
- Complex surgical ablation procedures and pulmonary vein isolations (a treatment for atrial fibrillation)
While not all these procedures are performed at Emerson, through our affiliations with leading tertiary hospitals in the Boston area, you are assured of getting the timely, advanced care your condition requires, in the most appropriate setting.
Sophisticated diagnostic testing
Emerson Hospital provides access to a full range of diagnostic testing
for cardiac arrhythmias, including:
Learn more about these tests here
- Electrocardiograms (EKGs)
- Holter monitoring
- Event recorder
- Exercise stress test
- Tilt table evaluation
- Invasive electrophysiology studies
State-of-the-art cardiac care facilities
Should you or a loved one require hospitalization, Emerson Hospital has invested in advanced technology and resources to provide the best-possible cardiac care:
- A dedicated Coronary Care Unit (CCU) where patients with serious heart problems are closely monitored and receive specialized, individual care
- For patients who require monitoring but do not need the intensive nursing care of the CCU, all of Emerson’s 179 beds are equipped with state-of-the-art Telemetry equipment, which continuously monitors patients’ heart rates and rhythms