Once your baby’s born, Emerson Hospital’s Clough Birthing Center offers you a range of post-partum services to help to recover and get acquainted with the newest member of your family.
Private post-partum rooms
Your comfort is of paramount important to us at Emerson Hospital. That’s why, after you give birth, you’ll stay in a private, home-like room in our Mother-Baby Unit, where you will begin your recovery and get to know your baby.
The same nurse will care for both you and your baby, and will teach you about breastfeeding and newborn care, such as the safest sleep positions, holding, diapering, dressing, bathing and more.
Our post-partum rooms feature large windows, many of which look out onto lush woods. In addition, the rooms also offer:
- Specially designed heat lamps above each bed so newborns stay warm while breastfeeding and bonding
- Free wifi
- Comfortable day beds for partners to use
- When babies need special care and must stay at Emerson after mom is discharged, we have special care boarding so moms can stay overnight at no charge as long as their baby is at Emerson (subject to availability)
Rooming-in at Emerson’s Birthing Center
After you deliver your baby at Emerson Hospital, we recommend "rooming-in,” which means you keep your baby with you in your private room the entire time you’re in the hospital.
This is a healthy choice for families because it empowers you to learn how to care for your baby while staff is available to help if you need it. In addition, when you room-in:
- You can more easily hold, cuddle, look at, learn to respond to and get to know your baby
- Your baby can get to know you more easily
- Your baby will probably cry less than babies in the nursery who are away from their mothers
- Your baby can learn to breastfeed faster and gain weight sooner
- You’ll feel more confident about being able to take care of your baby when you go home
Lactation services at Emerson Hospital
All professional staff on the Mother/Infant Unit are able to provide support for breastfeeding moms. We also understand that sometimes new moms need extra help, so we offer an array of services to help make breastfeeding a rewarding experience for mother and baby.
Certified lactation consultant
A certified lactation consultant is available to meet privately with new moms on the Mother/Infant Unit to provide breastfeeding assistance, education, counseling and support to ensure breastfeeding is a rewarding experience for mother and baby.
One of our certified lactation consultants will call you after discharge to check on you and your baby. In addition, if you have questions, we encourage you to call a lactation consultant at 978-287-3317.
Donated human breast milk
For breast-fed babies who may need supplementation, Emerson offers donated human breast milk through Mother's Milk Bank Northeast
. The pasteurized milk is donated by women who have been prescreened for conditions that could affect the safety of breast milk.
For babies who have difficulty latching on due to a condition called tongue tie, Emerson offers an expert Frenulum Clinic
Infant and childcare classes
Through the Emerson Wellness Center
for Mind and Body, we offer a variety of classes to prepare parents to care for their new baby. Topics include infant care and CPR, breastfeeding, sibling prep, mom and baby yoga, and a course for soon-to-be grandparents.