At Emerson Hospital, donations are our lifeblood. Without your generosity, we wouldn’t be able to deliver the outstanding medical care our patients deserve. It’s what drives us forward and keeps our community thriving.
In fact, philanthropy is what started it all.
The need for high-quality health care motivated Charles Emerson to make the founding donation that created Emerson Hospital in 1911. Today, his legacy continues — thanks in part to the many people who support the hospital through tax-deductible donations.
When you make a gift to Emerson Hospital, you become our partner in sustaining this legacy — and ensuring that the finest health care remains available to our community.
There are many ways to give
Donations to Emerson are greatly appreciated — and easy to make. You can make a gift online or send a check to Emerson Health Care Foundation at 133 Old Road to Nine Acre Corner, Concord, MA 01742.
Here are some giving opportunities we hope you’ll consider:
A gift to the Emerson Hospital Annual Appeal helps advance quality care by supporting a range of important hospital services. Through investments in staff, infrastructure and technology Emerson promotes a healthy lifestyle. Annual Appeal donations help keep the hospital a vital community resource. Learn more about the Annual Appeal
donor advised funds
Use your donor advised fund (DAF) to make a gift to Emerson Hospital. A donor advised fund is a philanthropic vehicle established at a public charity. It allows donors to make a charitable contribution, receive an immediate tax benefit and then recommend grants from the fund over time. An easy way to think about a donor advised fund is like a charitable savings account: a donor contributes to the fund as frequently as they like and then recommends grants to their favorite charity.
Why give through a DAF?
- Simplicity: Your DAF will handle all record-keeping, disbursements and tax receipts. You avoid the cost and complexities of managing a private foundation. There are no transaction fees, which means 100 percent of your gift will go to Emerson Hospital.
- Flexibility: The timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision-making.
- Tax benefits: Contributions to your DAF are tax-deductible and your investments in your DAF appreciate tax-free. You receive an immediate income tax deduction in the year you contribute to your DAF. Moreover, your DAF will not be subject to estate taxes.
- Legacy: To continue your support of Emerson Hospital after your lifetime, you can designate the hospital as a beneficiary to receive a portion of your DAF. The remaining balance can be managed by your loved ones to continue your philanthropic legacy.
Charitable IRA Rollover
The IRA Charitable Rollover allows taxpayers age 70½ or older to transfer up to $100,000 annually from their IRA accounts directly to a charity such as Emerson Hospital without first having to recognize the distribution as income.
If you or a loved one is a recent patient and want to express appreciation for the care you received by giving to a specific department or program, you can do so by designating a gift. You can make a gift online or mail your check to the address above.
Tribute gifts to honor someone
Make a gift in honor of a friend or loved one to celebrate a birthday, anniversary or special occasion. We will notify the honoree of your thoughtful gesture.
Tribute gifts to commemorate someone
Make a gift in memory of a deceased loved one or friend. When making your memorial donation, please inform us of the name of the deceased and next of kin to be notified of your gift.
Emerson Health Care Foundation raises funds for capital projects, equipment and programs through targeted capital campaigns and other major gift initiatives. This focused approach has enabled Emerson Hospital to undertake some major improvements and acquire important new technology — significantly enhancing patient care. Learn more about capital giving.
Gifts of securities
An outright gift of long-term appreciated securities avoids capital gains taxes and can usually allow you to claim a charitable income tax deduction equal to the current market value of the securities.
- Stock transfer: Ask your banker or broker to call Emerson Health Care Foundation at 978-287-3001 for transfer instructions. Please provide your name, broker name, type of stock to be transferred and gift designation.
- Mutual fund shares: Contact your mutual fund manager for specific instructions on making a gift from your account. This process may take several weeks to complete.
Emerson Hospital has been shaped in significant ways by donations of planned gifts. This type of philanthropy offers flexible tax-advantages to donors, and has been instrumental in maintaining the hospital’s vitality and continued growth. Learn more about planned giving.
If your employer offers matching gifts, it’s an opportunity to double your gift to Emerson Hospital. Your employer’s human resources department can provide you with a form to initiate the matching gift.