Emerson Hospital’s annual 5k Run~Walk for Cancer raised a record-breaking $107,700 this year. All proceeds from the event support cancer care for patients at the Mass General Cancer Center at Emerson Hospital – Bethke. Nearly 700 runners and walkers came out to The Thoreau Club in Concord on June 4th for a day of family fun to help those with cancer in the community.
The top male runner was Nick Rindenello of Harvard, with a time of 15 minutes, 57 seconds. Nick works as a Patient Care Technician in Emerson’s Emergency Department. Shortly after the race, he went to Emerson for his regular shift. The top female runner was Taryn Sleger of Westford with a time of 17 minutes, 57 seconds. Complete race results are available at: www.coolrunning.com/results/16/ma/Jun4_Emerso_set1.shtml.
Among the top fundraising teams were the Oak Meadow Otters, comprised of students and parents from the Oak Meadow Montessori School in Littleton, Aux Rox, representing the Auxiliary of Emerson Hospital, Lexington Eye Associates, Acton Medical Associates, and the Mass General Cancer Center. Individual fundraisers contributed more than 60% of the total proceeds. The top individual fundraisers were Jerry Browne of Natick, Jamie Carroll of Maynard, Denise Haartz of Concord and Sara Martinian of Groton.
“Emerson’s 5k Run ~ Walk for Cancer is a day filled with family fun and support for those in our community who are affected by cancer,” said Christine Schuster, President and CEO of Emerson Hospital. “This year, we are extremely grateful to everyone who raised money and participated in setting a new fundraising record. People choose to receive their cancer care at Emerson not only because it is convenient, but because of the high-quality and compassionate approach our team gives each of our patients and their caregivers. With the proceeds from this year’s Run~Walk, cancer patients at Emerson will receive important supportive and integrative therapies that promote healing.”
This year’s Run ~ Walk event included a timed 5k run, a one-mile Fun Run, and a 5K walk. Following the awards ceremony, families participated in activities including swimming, tie-dying, volleyball and badminton.
Community sponsors and partners of the 2016 Emerson 5k Run ~ Walk for Cancer include:
• Presenting Sponsor – Cambridge Savings Bank
• Tribute Level Sponsors -- The Patenaude/Fivek Team at Barrett Sotheby’s International Realty and The Thoreau Club.
• Sustaining Level Sponsors -- Middlesex Savings Bank, Northern Bank and Woodman & Eaton, a Monument Group Company.
• Supporting Level Sponsors -- Abode Builders, Acton Chrysler Dodge Jeep, Care One at Concord, Dermatology Associates of Concord, the DiGiovanni Family, Especially for Pets, Lexington Eye Associates, Life Care Center of Acton, Margo’s Hair and Body Design, Municipal Market Analytics, Newbury Court Deaconess Abundant Life, Salem Five Bank, the Wheelhouse and Wingate of Sudbury.
• Friend Sponsors -- Hemenway & Barnes, Dr. Martin J. Kafina, Lyon-Waugh Auto Group, H. Ivan Orup DMD and the Wilson Group.
• In-kind donations -- Jack Fultz, Lincoln resident and 1976 Boston Marathon winner, Thermo Fisher Scientific and Wegmans.
Donations will be accepted through June 30 at www.emersonhospital.org/5k. To see photos of this year’s event, please visit www.coutrephoto.com and search for the Run ~ Walk under “Public Galleries.” Please visit Emerson’s Facebook page and local media next spring for details about Emerson’s 2017 Run ~ Walk for Cancer.
The Mass General Cancer Center at Emerson Hospital-Bethke brings together experienced cancer specialists, leading-edge technology, and the latest treatment options for patients in Emerson’s service area. Emerson’s close collaboration with Mass General’s main campus downtown means patients receive world-class cancer care right in their neighborhood. Learn more: http://www.emersonhospital.org/MedServicesAndCenters/Centers/Bethke.aspx.
Emerson Hospital is a multi-site health system headquartered in Concord, Mass., with additional facilities in Sudbury, Groton, and Westford. The 179-bed hospital provides advanced medical services to more than 300,000 individuals in 25 towns. For more information about Emerson Hospital visit www.emersonhospital.org.