For the safety of our patients and staff and to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, Cantu Concussion Center services have made adjustments to the scheduling, hours of operation and enhanced cleaning protocols. All staff are screened daily for COVID-19 symptoms, and patients are screened during their registration call and again upon arrival. Patients will be met at the entrance where they will be screened, asked to sanitize their hands, and don a fresh mask.
If you are an athlete who plays contact sports or the parent of a child who does, it is important to know this: Serious concussions are on the rise, but so are advances in their treatment.
And you will be glad to know that one of the leading centers for concussion treatment is right here at Emerson Hospital. The Dr. Robert C. Cantu Concussion Center combines the expertise of one of the world’s leading concussion experts with the latest therapies for diagnosing, treating and managing all types of concussive brain injuries.
The conditions we see
At the Dr. Robert C. Cantu Concussion Center, we see the full range of concussive brain injuries, including:
- Concussion — A mild traumatic brain injury, usually occurring after a blow to the head
- Post-concussion syndrome (PCS) — A complex disorder in which various concussion symptoms, such as headaches and dizziness, last for weeks and sometimes months after the concussive injury
- Symptoms of chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE) — A progressive degenerative disease of the brain found in athletes (and others) with a history of repetitive brain trauma
Learn more about these types of injuries.
The services we provide
The Cantu Concussion Center is a consultation outpatient facility that provides traditional as well as integrative, individualized treatment for those suffering from concussive brain injury:
- A team approach helps patients benefit from the expertise of multiple specialists working together to guide treatment.
- Baseline concussion testing provides a snapshot of healthy brain function for comparison should an injury occur.
- Individualized therapies for concussions, PCS and symptoms of CTE to help with injury management and recovery, tailored to meet each patient's needs.
- Education and support for athletes, patients, caregivers, parents and coaches to aid with recovery.
For your convenience, certain therapies are available at both the Cantu Concussion Center
in Concord and at the Westford Health Center