Sometimes surgery is the best option for certain digestive issues. Using advanced tools and technology, Emerson Hospital’s board-certified, fellowship-trained gastrointestinal surgeons and general surgeons with colorectal expertise provide surgical care of digestive disorders as well as weight-loss (bariatric) surgery — including minimally invasive techniques.
Working closely with referring gastroenterologists, primary care physicians and other specialists, our GI surgeons provide top-quality care and excellent patient outcomes — in a convenient setting that’s close to home for Concord-area residents.
The conditions treated by gastrointestinal surgery
The most common gastrointestinal and related conditions treated by Emerson Hospital’s GI, colorectal and general surgeons are:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), also referred to as acid reflux,
- Hiatal hernia (when the upper part of the stomach pushes through an opening in the diaphragm and into the chest cavity)
- Paraesophageal hernia (a hernia next to the esophagus)
- Abdominal hernias
- Colorectal cancer
- Colitis (inflammation of the lining of the colon)
- Obesity and its related health issues
The types of gastrointestinal surgery performed at Emerson Hospital
Our GI surgeons have extensive experience and expertise in performing these types of surgical procedures:
- Laparoscopic repair of hiatal/paraesophageal hernias
- Nissen and Toupet fundoplication (procedures to treat GERD and hiatal hernia)
- Cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal)
- Ventral/abdominal wall hernia repair
- Colon polyp removal
- Colon resection (removal of a portion of the colon)
- Weight-loss (bariatric) surgery including gastric bypass, sleeve gastrectomy and adjustable gastric banding
At Emerson, you are considered an integral part of your healthcare team. Our GI surgeons strive to make sure you feel heard, and are given the opportunity to collaborate in decision-making about your care.