Kidney disease can affect children in various ways, ranging from treatable disorders without long-term consequences to life-threatening conditions. If your child is affected by kidney disease, you’ll be glad to know that Emerson Hospital is home to a team of pediatric nephrologists—doctors who specialize in treating kidney disease in children.
Also, Emerson Hospital has an affiliation with the renowned MassGeneral Hospital for Children—giving you streamlined access to even more advanced care should your child need it.
The conditions our pediatric nephrologists see
Our pediatric kidney specialists diagnose and treat all aspects of kidney disease in infants, children, adolescents, and young adults, including:
- Acute and chronic kidney disease/failure
- Pediatric hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Inherited kidney diseases
- Glomerular diseases
- Acute glomerulonephritis
- Nephrotic syndrome
- Hematuria (blood in the urine)
- Proteinuria (protein in the urine)
- Kidney stones (nephrolithiasis)
- Fluid, electrolyte and acid-based disorders
- Cystic kidney diseases (such as polycystic kidney disease/PKD)
- Urinary tract disorders
The services our pediatric kidney experts provide
The pediatric nephrologists at Emerson Hospital provide comprehensive diagnosis, treatment and ongoing care management for young patients with kidney disease, including:
- Medications, including infusions
- Dietary and nutritional counseling
- Dialysis (hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis)
- Kidney transplantation (in collaboration with respected hospitals in Boston and Worcester, with follow-up care available at Emerson)
Importantly, our pediatric kidney specialists not only understand the medical complexities of your child’s condition, but also the emotional impact of kidney disease on your child and your entire family.
In addition, we have a Pediatric Intervention Team (PIT)
available to help ease the fears of children and their families during difficult examinations and procedures.