Diabetes is a chronic condition that can affect every aspect of your life. Fortunately, Emerson Hospital offers expert diagnostic, medical management, and education and support services to help you control your diabetes and achieve the highest level of wellness possible.
The types of diabetes we see at Emerson
Our team of endocrinologists
and Certified Diabetes Educators work with adults with all types of diabetes:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes (diabetes that develops during pregnancy)
- Pre-diabetes (when blood sugar is higher than normal but not yet high enough to be type 2 diabetes)
The diabetes services we provide at Emerson
Our aim is to empower patients to understand, monitor and manage their diabetes effectively so they can achieve and maintain optimal health and quality of life. We do this through:
- Medical management which includes the use of medications and advanced technology such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose sensors
- Diabetes education and coaching by Certified Diabetes Educators who work one-on-one with patients to help them understand their condition, integrate self-care behaviors in their daily lives, and work toward the best diabetes control possible
- Through our affiliation with MassGeneral for Children, we also have a pediatric endocrinologist on staff to provide care for adolescent patients.
- Support services and groups including a wide range of community health and wellness programs and classes that can help you learn about maintaining your health and managing diabetes effectively
Because complications from diabetes can affect various parts of your body—such as your eyes and circulation—we also make sure you have the appropriate specialists on your healthcare team, such as ophthalmologists
for vision care and podiatrists
for foot care.
In addition, bariatric (weight-loss) surgery
may be an option for resolving type 2 diabetes in certain individuals, and we can provide a referral to Emerson Hospital’s Center for Weight Loss so you can learn more.