Diabetes is a chronic condition that can affect every aspect of your life. Fortunately, Emerson Hospital offers expert diagnostic, medical management, and education and support services to help you control your diabetes and achieve the highest level of wellness possible.
The types of diabetes we see at Emerson
Our team of endocrinologists and certified diabetes educators work with adults with all types of diabetes:
- Type 1 diabetes
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gestational diabetes (diabetes that develops during pregnancy)
- Pre-diabetes (when blood sugar is higher than normal but not yet high enough to be type 2 diabetes)
The diabetes services we provide at Emerson
Our aim is to empower patients to understand, monitor and manage their diabetes effectively so they can achieve and maintain optimal health and quality of life. We do this through:
- Medical management, which includes the use of medications and advanced technology such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose sensors
- Diabetes education and coaching by certified diabetes educators who work one-on-one with patients to help them understand their condition, integrate self-care behaviors in their daily lives, and work toward the best diabetes control possible
- Through our affiliation with Mass General for Children, we also have a pediatric endocrinologist on staff to provide care for adolescent patients.
- Support services and groups, including a wide range of community health and wellness programs and classes that can help you learn about maintaining your health and managing diabetes effectively
Because complications from diabetes can affect various parts of your body — such as your eyes and circulation — we also make sure you have the appropriate specialists on your health care team, such as ophthalmologists for vision care and podiatrists for foot care.
In addition, bariatric (weight-loss) surgery may be an option for resolving type 2 diabetes in certain individuals, and we can provide a referral to Emerson Hospital’s Center for Weight Loss so you can learn more.
In this episode of our Health Works Here podcast, we explore the two most common types of diabetes and discuss the causes, symptoms and treatments for each.
Visit our podcast page to find the latest episode or subscribe to the Health Works Here Podcast on Apple Podcasts, Spotify, Google Podcasts, and wherever podcasts can be heard.
Diabetes and Cardiovascular Health
Diabetes Self-Management Education Workshop
This interactive six-session workshop provides information on diabetes basics, how to create an action plan and stick to it, how to handle a diabetes diagnosis, how to make healthy choices, and much more. The class is hosted by the Emerson Hospital Agarwal Diabetes Center and is coordinated with the New England Quality Innovation Network. The workshop is completely free, and consists of six 2.5-hour sessions over six weeks.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the workshop is currently on hold. For questions, please call the diabetes center at 978-287-8950 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.