If your child has problems related to growth, diabetes, puberty or other disorders associated with hormones and the glands that produce them, care from a pediatric endocrinologist may be just what the doctor ordered.
Pediatric endocrinologists diagnose and treat hormone disorders at all stages of childhood through the teen years, and they have special training in pediatric conditions affecting growth and development.
Fortunately, through Emerson Hospital’s affiliation with the renowned MassGeneral Hospital for Children, you have convenient local access to advanced pediatric endocrinology expertise right here, close to home.
Conditions our Pediatric Endocrinologist Treat
Hormonal problems seen by pediatric endocrinologists can be quite different from those commonly seen by endocrinologists who care for adults. The conditions our pediatric nephrologists see include:
- Diabetes type 1 and type 2
- Growth problems, such as short stature
- Sexual development disorders, such as early or delayed puberty, or disorders of sexual differentiation
- Disorders involving the pituitary, thyroid and/or adrenal glands
- Disorders of calcium and bone
The services pediatric endocrinologists offer
We offer specialized expertise and services for children and adolescents with problems of the endocrine system, ranging from those that are common to those that are complex, acute or chronic. These services include:
- Comprehensive evaluation and diagnostic testing, since endocrine disorders can display a wide variety of symptoms
- Careful, ongoing medical management and care coordination with other appropriate specialists and your child’s pediatrician
- Thorough patient and family education
- Extensive support services, including our Pediatric Intervention Team that provides age-appropriate support and guidance to children and families in the hospital setting
- Through our affiliation with MassGeneral Hospital for Children, streamlined access to more advanced care should your child need it