Endocrinology is a medical specialty focused on the glands that produce hormones—the endocrine system. These hormones control many basic functions in our bodies, including how we metabolize food, our sex and reproductive systems, blood sugar levels, blood pressure, energy levels, bone growth, body heat and more.
If you or someone you care about suffers from a disorder that affects the endocrine system, you will be glad to know that Emerson Hospital has a team of expert endocrinologists who care for adults and children
with these conditions.
Our board-certified endocrinologists—physicians with advanced training in diagnosing and treating endocrine disorders—along with diabetes educators, nurses, nutritionists and others with expertise in this field, provide comprehensive, high-quality care, conveniently close to home.
The endocrinology conditions we see at Emerson
Our endocrinologists see the full range of hormone-related conditions, including:
- Thyroid disease (thyroid nodules, hyperthyroidism, hypothyroidism, Graves’ disease, Hashimoto’s thyroiditis, thyroid disease in pregnancy)
- Diabetes (type 1, type 2, gestational diabetes)
- Adrenal disease (adrenal nodules, Addison’s disease, Cushing’s disease, hyperaldosteronism)
- Pituitary disease
- Disorders of the parathyroid gland
- Polycystic ovary syndrome (POS)
- Low testosterone
The services Emerson’s endocrinologists provide
Our endocrinologists provide a wide array of services to help restore the normal balance of hormones. These services include:
- Comprehensive diagnostic testing
- Ongoing medical management using today’s most effective medications and nonsurgical interventions
- Proficiency in using advanced technology such as insulin pumps and continuous glucose sensors to help patients manage their diabetes
- Referral for genetic testing and surgery, when appropriate
Importantly, because endocrine disorders may cause other health issues such as heart disease, high blood pressure, obesity or reproductive problems, our endocrinologists work closely with other specialists to ensure you receive the complete care you need.
Our endocrinologists also maintain close communication with your primary care physician.
Support Services and Groups
Emerson Hospital also offers a wide range of community health and wellness programs and classes
that can help you learn about maintaining your health and managing the stress associated with endocrine-related diseases, including diabetes.