For the safety of our patients and staff and to help prevent the spread of the COVID-19 virus, some outpatient rehabilitation services will be limited or postponed. Patients with conditions requiring immediate therapy will continue to be seen. Patients with upcoming appointments will hear from us soon to evaluate alternatives. Please note that our locations at Lawrence Academy, The Mill Works in Westford, and Skill of Strength in North Chelmsford are temporarily closed. We will reach out to those patients as we work to accommodate them for future appointments.
As a parent, you want to give your child every opportunity to achieve his or her best. If your child is struggling with developmental, neurological or other disorders, the team of skilled pediatric therapists at Emerson Hospital can help.
Physical and occupational therapy
Our pediatric physical and occupational therapists are specially trained to give children skills for greater independence in life. They provide intervention through play to improve basic living skills and social interactions, working with the entire family to help your child succeed at home and in school.
The conditions our pediatric therapists see include:
- Developmental fine and gross motor delay
- Cerebral palsy
- Down syndrome
- Autism spectrum disorders
- Spinal cord or traumatic brain injury
- Muscular dystrophy
- Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
Speech - language therapy
Our pediatric speech and language pathologists provide individual and small group therapy. Among the diagnoses they address are:
- Developmental language delays
- Articulation/dyspraxia/apraxia (problems saying sounds, syllables and words)
- Social pragmatics (using language appropriately in social situations)
- Augmentative and assistive communication using low and high-tech devices to facilitate independent communication
- Cognitive communication secondary to traumatic brain injury, concussion, or pre/post natal stroke
- Feeding/swallowing issues; delays in newborn feeding, picky eating and G-Tube transitioning
Already have an appointment?
Before arriving for your child's appointment, please download, print, and fill out the appropriate forms to bring with you (each opens as a PDF):