If your child has an illness or injury that requires surgery, there’s great peace of mind in knowing that Emerson Hospital has a team of skilled surgeons with extensive experience caring for children.
Importantly, they perform many procedures minimally invasively, which means smaller incisions than traditional surgery. This, in turn, translates into less pain, less scarring and a faster recovery for your child.
In addition to our expert pediatric surgeons, we have an array of child-friendly services to help make the surgical experience as smooth and stress-free as possible—for kids and their parents.
The pediatric surgery expertise at Emerson Hospital
Emerson’s pediatric surgical expertise includes treatments for:
Notably, Emerson is home to the region’s only fellowship-trained pediatric orthopedic surgeon
Pediatric Intervention Team
We understand that having surgery can be scary for a child. Emerson’s specially trained Pediatric Intervention Team
guides children and families through the surgical experience, including:
- An advance tour of the surgical center to help dispel fears
- Child-friendly preoperative teaching so kids and parents know what to expect (preoperative teaching can be arranged ahead of your child’s surgical date by calling 978-287-3422, or is provided on the day of surgery)
- Age-appropriate toys of distraction are provided on the day of surgery
- A member of the Pediatric Intervention Team accompanies you and your child into the operating room
- When surgery is completed, you are brought to the recovery room so you’re the first person your child sees upon awakening
The best care possible. A kid-friendly environment. Conveniently close to home. It’s all right here at Emerson Hospital.
Preparing a child for surgery podcast
Listen to a podcast with Vicky Hopley and Mallory Harrison, Emerson child life specialists, where they talk about their role on the Pediatric Intervention Team and how they assist parents in preparing a child for surgery. [Apple Podcasts | Google Play Music | Spotify]